We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We would also like to set optional analytical cookies to help us improve the website. We will not set optional cookies unless you enable them. For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our ‘Privacy and Cookies’ page. Simply click ‘Accept’ to agree to the use of all necessary and optional cookies or manage and enable them by clicking ‘Settings’. Please note we need to use a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
When the first Headmistress, Miss A Morton, opened the school at Haydon Place on the 25 April 1887, she was greeted by the appointed caretaker with the news “there ain’t no one come yet ma'am”. Undaunted, Miss Morton had acquired two pupils by the end of her first week and with support from the Church Schools Company over the subsequent months, the school was born.
Guildford High School moves to current site with the redbrick building on the junction of London Road and Nightingale Road in close proximity to the newly created railway line.
Miss M Summons becomes Headmistress. Later in 1918 Miss F Stocks becomes Headmistress.
A proper uniform is introduced and all forms wore berets except the Sixth Form, who wore boaters. Until 1921 young ladies were expected to come to school dressed like gentlewomen. There were various kinds of sports clothes but these were fairly cumbersome; ‘Leaping’ was done in long skirts!
The original House system is established with the four houses named after local figures.
Four acres of Stoke Park are purchased for playing fields and a small pavilion is built.
Miss O Potts becomes Headmistress. Later in 1929 Miss H Ralph becomes Headmistress.
Morton House, which is now the Sixth Form Centre, is bought in 1930 and used for boarding until 1948.
Miss K Gordon-Owens becomes Headmistress. Later in 1942 Miss K Gent becomes Headmistress.
From 1945 to 1977, the school had four Headmistresses: Miss A Reid, Miss E Bryce in 1959, Miss M Harley-Mason in 1969 and in 1977 Miss J Dutton.
A further wing is built to create a new IT, Geography, History and Modern Languages centre.
Mrs S Singer becomes Headmistress.
Guildford High School welcomes four year olds into the school for the first time in 1990. Four years later, the Junior School building is opened by the Lady Prior.
The main Senior School building is added creating a new Senior School hall, dining hall and music facilities.
Mrs F Boulton becomes Headmistress.
Our Sports Centre opens on the site of the old school pavilion in Stoke Park, housing a swimming-pool, indoor netball courts, fitness suite and social/viewing area.
Houses are re-introduced in the Senior School and named after precious stones.
3 Nightingale Road is acquired and renamed Harper House; this building along with 1 Nightingale Road is re-purposed to provide administrative offices, staff accommodation, teaching rooms for Sixth Form and a large garden for pupils to use.
The Library is extended also incorporating the creation of the Current Affairs and Philosophy Room and new IT suite replacing the old IT rooms.
The 2016 Hall opens – a dedicated music performance space capable of seating 200, practice rooms and a social area. It also greatly enhanced the outside area with the creation of the Alice Courtyard in place of the playground, and a patio to the rear outside the extended library.
Guildford High School is awarded the Sunday Times Independent Prep School, 2016 and the Sunday Times South East Independent Secondary School in 2018.
Guildford High School is awarded 'Best School for Pastoral Care 2018' by The Week magazine.
An old IT room is refurbished for the start of the 2019-20 academic year to provide a House Hub - a dedicated space for House activities and competitions to take place.
Guildford High School is named The Sunday Times Southeast Independent School of the Decade.